My shopping partner, Isaac, and I recently made a trip to Savemart to purchase goodies for our Angry Birds Game Night.
I know what you’re thinking…how can I possibly get any shopping done with such cuteness along for the ride?? I assure you that I can maneuver my shopping cart, search for his favorite videos on my cell phone, while equally munching on his sweet neck!
OK…enough of the cuteness…we’re talking today about ANGRY BIRDS! It’s Forced Family Fun Night tonight in our house…and we’re renting the Angry Birds video game on the XBOX 360.
I had NO idea that they even made this game for the XBox 360, so I was as equally excited as the kids to see what all the commotion was about. We decided that along with playing the game, we’d need a sweet treat to go along with it. That’s when my crazy-mama brain kicked into motion and I had the most brilliant idea to make Angry Birds Popcorn Balls. (hence, our trip to Savemart to grab our ingredients)
Were we EVER so lucky that they even had popcorn on sale this week!
With a trip down the candy aisle to make SURE that we had enough goodies to decorate the popcorn balls, we checked out and then grabbed our video game! (if you’d like to see our entire shopping trip, just click HERE.)
I am a PROFESSIONAL shopper, therefore, I know that it makes the process so much faster and efficient if you reserve your game/movie at Redbox.com BEFORE going out to find it. SO, that’s just what I did!
It took less than a minute of my time to scan my credit card and for the game to miraculously pop out!
NOW…with all the goodies in my van AND an awesome video game, we’re heading home (we have friends coming over tonight to play with us!)
Are you excited to see what the popcorn balls are going to look like??
I know…SO CUTE…right?
Here’s what you’ll need to make the
CUTE ANGRY Birds Popcorn Balls:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- food coloring (we used red..but, there are also green pigs, yellow birds)
- 12 cups of popped popcorn
- candy thermometer
- Line some cookie sheets with aluminum foil and then SPRAY with a cooking spray (OR these balls will stick and NOT come off!)
- Combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup in med. saucepan and cook on medium heat.
- Cook and stir occasionally, until the temperature reaches 240 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract and food coloring. (don’t be skimpy…or you’ll have pink popcorn balls instead of red ones!)
- Pour the syrup over the popcorn and stir thoroughly to coat all the popcorn.
- Let the popcorn sit for a few minutes (or those kernels will burn!). Be sure to go ahead and spray your hands with cooking spray and start making balls. Then, set the balls on the aluminum foil cookie sheets and let the kids start decorating!
Here’s what our kids’ Angry Birds turned out to look like:
Yes…we have some PRETTY CRAZY looking birds in our group…but, the kids had a BLAST making them, eating while they made them, and hurrying to finish them so that they could try the Angry Birds Video Game.
Now…if you OR your kids don’t want to decorate right ON the popcorn balls, you can always put them in a plastic baggie and tie it up with candy whips and decorate the bag:
Now…onto The Angry Birds Video Game!
We had a house FULL of kids, so they told me EXACTLY what they liked and didn’t like about this game.
The consensus was…THEY LOVED IT! Me, I still don’t know why the darn pigs only want to steal bird eggs!
I must say, when they finally let me play, it was kind of COOL that the controller vibrates as I crash the birds into the structures!
Go ahead and start planning your next Forced Family Fun Night, and make it An Angry Birds Game Night!
If you want to learn more about Redbox, just follow these links:
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ #CBias #SocialFabric All photos and opinions are my own!